Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Storytelling 101 for Science Communication (Part 2)

Looking back on my blog post from September 2, I wanted to add another example of effective (in my opinion) science-based storytelling.  About a year ago, I saw National Geographic photographer James Balog's documentary called Chasing Ice.  If you haven't seen it yet, I totally recommend it.  Mr. Balog does a really great job using pictures to tell a story, convey emotion, and draw you in.

www.chasingice.com

Chasing Ice Trailer

More photos by James Balog

Some questions to ask while you're getting ready to present to the general public:
(1) Is there a way I can use images or other types of media to demonstrate what I'm showing or tell a story about my research?
(2) Can I replace text with images?  (Often we fill our presentations with text.  This can be very daunting and boring to someone that's not familiar with our work.)


I took this picture of some tiles I set out in the stream for a biofilm experiment.
It's a good idea to take pictures like this throughout your experiments so you
can use them during presentations to show what you did.  Pictures can
be more captivating than text on a slide (in most cases but not always!).

No comments:

Post a Comment